If you could get in a time machine, go back 10 years and take yourself out for a quiet drink and some friendly advice what would you say?
If I could go back and put a tipsy arm around my younger self and give her a few tips for getting by in the future these are some of the things I would say.
- You cannot possibly be liked by everyone and that is ok.
- It is fine that you don’t quite fit in anywhere. Sometimes being just on the outside gives you a better perspective.
- Making mistakes is part of life. It is how you deal with them afterwards that counts.
- Admitting your faults is not a weakness.
- Asking for help does not make you weak.
- Saying you don’t know the answer does not make you dumb.
- A dress, heels and makeup do not make you interesting. You have opinions, and points of view so don’t be afraid to share them.
- Just because someone can shout their point of view louder doesn’t always mean they are right. Have faith in your own judgement. Go with your gut. It is usually right.
- Regret does you no good. If you must look back, do it only to learn and not to torture yourself.
- That little voice that is always so negative. You know, the one that says you can’t do something, or to be quiet, don’t say what you are thinking. Tell him to shut up. He will back down quicker than you think.
I am positive she wouldn’t listen. Maybe I would just tell her that she will be ok. She is stronger than she thinks.
What would you tell yourself if you could?